Saturday, January 05, 2008

Top Stuff from 2007 #6 - Beowulf in 3D

Top Stuff from 2007 #6 - Beowulf in 3D

Beowulf in 3D

Beowulf in 3D

3-D feature films have been around since the 1950s, but for decades they have been terrible to view. I avoided the recent 3-D releases of SUPERMAN RETURNS and HARRY POTTER like the plague, but something about BEOWULF told me to give it a shot. I finally decided to try the 3-D experience after a 20 year personal haitus and was I shocked by the improvement in quality. It took me several minutes to train my eyes to relax and not try to focus on things, but when I finally did...what a world to behold. In the end, the film experience was served well, not only by Alan Silvestri's aggressive score, but by the 3-D effects which managed to stay away from the realm of the "gimmicky." Judging by the number of trailers for 3-D enhanced feature films coming, it looks like the genre is going to see its resurgence continue. With home theater systems and oversized computer monitors serving up more and more of the public's moviegoing experiences, Hollywood would be smart to further invest in the advantages the big screen affords them. BEOWULF in 3D was simply one of the most memorable theater experiences of 2007 and if future projects match its quality of implementation, I foresee myself and other moviegoers dawning those big, nerdy glasses a lot more often.
Top 5 Stuff from 2007 is around the corner...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting your comment! As soon as we verify that it is suitable for publishing, it will be published.