Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Gene Generation by Scott Glasgow + Signing at Dark Delicacies


The Gene Generation by Scott Glasgow + Signing at Dark Delicacies

Along with several other key Varese Sarabande releases comes composer SCOTT GLASGOW's latest effort, THE GENE GENERATION. As you'll remember, we reviewed his score for ROBOTECH:THE SHADOW CHRONICLES and interviewed the composer about the experience in 2007. You can pre-order your copy of the soundtrack now - scheduled for release on March 31, 2009. More info on The Gene Generation is available below.


Dark Delicacies Signing


Additionally, SCOTT GLASGOW along with MARCO BELTRAMI and CHRISTOPHER BECK will be at a signing at DARK DELICACIES this Saturday at 2:00 PM PT. Check here fore more deets.


More on The Gene Generation:


In a futuristic world, Michelle lives everyday battling with DNA Hackers who use their skills to hack into people's bodies and kill them. She is an assassin, battling her past demons and trying to keep her younger and extroverted brother, Jackie, out of trouble. When Jackie gets involved in a petty crime of robbery, he propels himself into the world of DNA Hackers, Shylocks (Loan Sharks) and Gang Fights. Wanting the respect that the world has never given to him only makes it harder for Jackie to peel himself away from the underground trades, against the hopes of his sister, Michelle. Michelle always wanted to leave the city and lead a calm and quiet lifestyle. As emotions and gunfire get into the way, Michelle and Jackie soon find themselves battling between their lives and finding out that in an immoral world, love can still survive. Blood is thicker than water. Summary written by Pearry Reginald Teo.


The Score:


The score of GENE features ethnic instruments and intense gothic styling. It features Zhonghu (Chinese Cello), Viola de Gamba (Medieval Cello), Flutes, & vocals by Melissa R. Kaplan (K-Pax, Riddick, Robotech).


Composer's Note:


When I first started to think about the score to THE GENE GENERATION, I knew I wanted to keep it as a small group of exotic instruments with none coming from the tradition symphonic orchestra group on top of my own studio work. Initially, my list was much longer than the final group of players however as the score grew I felt I didn’t need a live Pipa player or Guzheng player. One of the other changes came with the flute. Initially I planned to only use ethnic flutes but during the recording I realized that the intonation and general nature these exotic flutes make it a little hard to do on the spot so I switched to standard concert flute. I think it works better in the end anyways.

One thing I knew from the start was I wanted to work with Melissa R. Kaplan for the vocals on this score. I had worked with her before on a score called ROBOTECH:THE SHADOW CHRONICLES (also released by Varese Sarabande 302 066 702 2). Her unique stylings were a must for this exotic world I was working with. One of the interesting aspects with the vocals on this score was that the director had created his own alphabet for the film. I took this alphabet and created vowel sounds for Melissa to sing. On top of that I knew Melissa would do her Bulgarian style singing but I wanted to mash it together with other ethnic singing style. So I asked her to start with Bulgarian phrasing maybe switch to Indian ‘raga scales’ and end with Cantonese opera melismas, ultimately creating a “pan-ethnic” style of singing. I think it comes out really different and works well in this future world the director created with this film.

My work on this score was to bring the intimate contrast to the in-your-face industrial songs but also to bring the gothic darkness to the film. I hope I have achieved that and a great listening experience filled with contrast for you.


Scott Glasgow
Hollywood, CA 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting your comment! As soon as we verify that it is suitable for publishing, it will be published.